Re: Newbie : 4 port BT878

On Fri, 2001-10-19 at 15:33, Almond Wong wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I managed to install bttv2 in RedHat 6.2. I'm using a BT878 card with 4
> composite port. I can see images with xawtv. I do have the following problem :
>
> 1. I use the webcam program came with xawtv, all the four channel get only
> black screen. I noticed when I execute "modprobe bttv2", it return "bttv0:
> model: BT878( *** UNKNOWN *** )", is this cause the problem ?

Most likely, yes.

> 3. Is it possible to grab images (jpeg) using all the four port at the same
> time ?  It seen that there is only one channel available if I grad images
> continuously using the webcam program.  Is there is a fix to avoid lock the
> video device ?

You can just capture from one card input at a time. If you want to
capture from several inputs you will have to switch channels, which will
lead to lower capture speed (see a message from a thread from this list
17/10, I think for more details).

> 4. If multiple card is required, how the modules.conf file need to be set ?
> I can only use insmod and modprobe to activate the modules.

The driver is able to deal with several cards, so no modifications
should be needed.

> 5. Or, anybody can suggest a card which support multiple input ? Since I
> want to support 8 input w/o using second PC.

You might need a card including several video decoders and dedicate one
to each of the video inputs you want to capture from. Other chance is to
use a bt878 (or other video decoder) with an external analog video
multiplexer. Again, please read the above refered message for more
explanations on this idea.

> Have a nice weekend.

Thank you!

	Miguel