Re: Re: some questions

On 18 Oct 2001, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> > > v4l2 has buffer flags for even/odd field, v4l has not.  Is there any way
> >
> >  Does it make sense to do v4l2 ? When is it going to make it into the
> >  kernel ? (I don't want to require people to patch the kernel in addition
> >  to everything else..)
>
> including v4l2 is planned for 2.5.x.

And 2.6.x is still a ways off. What do you think about having "extended
v4l" ? Specifically, I was thinking of adding an extra offset field to
mmap ioctls that would point not to a frame but to a control struct that
would contain fields like timestamp, frame phase (even, odd or something
else), and whatever else is needed. This way read/write operation will be
unchanged, but applications that use mmap can take advantage of extra
features.

                       best

                              Vladimir Dergachev