Re: Newbie question - webcam as video security system and 4 port BT878

On Wed, 2001-10-17 at 12:13, Almond Wong wrote:

> Besides, I brought a card with BT878 on board and 4 composite input. Is
> BT878 can support 4 camera at the same time, what is the frame rate per
> second ? Any limitation ?

You can capture video just from one input at the same time. The only way
you can capture from N cameras with just one video card is to switch
inputs periodically. This method has, however, limitations.

When you switch from one video input to another, the bt878 takes some
time to resync to the new analog input stream (unless you are using
phase-syncronised cameras). This leads to the fact that a number of
fields captured after input switching are invalid (a mixture of both
inputs, black stripes across the images...). To avoid this, you would
have to discard those invalid fields. This will all make the capture
speed turn to less (quite less) than the theoretical 50 fps PAL (60 fps
for NTSC).

Miguel