Re: mobile robot eyes

Eric Pichon <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm working on an ambitious robotic project. The idea is to perform
> biologically plausible artificial vision on an autonomous vehicle. For that
> we will put two dual CPU motherboards on a RC car to create a beowulf
> cluster. You can find a short description on http://ilab.usc.edu/beobots
>
> Each board will have its own camera, either USB or FireWire.
>
> We want to achieve 320x200 at 30 fps and need to use the v4l API.
>
> I would like to know :
> - can we use FireWire cams with v4l ?
> - would a USB cam be able to do 320x200x30 ? (because of the USB 12Mb/s we
> would need hardware compression, but will the compression algorithm behave OK
> if the camera is always moving - as on a 25 mph RC car ?)

I think no. I think the cheapest ntsc camera connected to the cheapest
pci framegrabber with bt848 or equivalent will do much better, and it's not
a lot more expensive.

quoting an article I picked months ago (author first name is mark...)
---
If you're looking for frame rate, go get a regular CCD camera with NTSC
output and a Bt8x8 based capture card. You can get a card that's
basically an 878 and nothing else for $20 at www.computergeeks.com
(#include std_disclaimer.h) and OEM version STB DesktopTV cards on eBay
for $30 pretty regularly. The geeks also have an outstanding deal on
those itty bitty Pixera CCDs. ($32 for a color CCD camera smaller than
your thumb, in a handsome black plastic package)

If you want to see if some other model is faster, IBM PC Camera Pro's
are selling for $60 with a $50 rebate here:
https://secure.nac.net/harmony/results2.asp?Manufacturer=IBM+PC+Cameras&MANUFACTURERSEARCH.x=4
---