Re: mobile robot eyes

Quoting Eric Pichon <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Each board will have its own camera, either USB or FireWire.
>
> We want to achieve 320x200 at 30 fps and need to use the v4l API.
>
> I would like to know :
> - can we use FireWire cams with v4l ?

As long as you have the FireWire driver for your camera...

> - would a USB cam be able to do 320x200x30 ? (because of the USB 12Mb/s we
> would need hardware compression, but will the compression algorithm behave OK
> if the camera is always moving - as on a 25 mph RC car ?)

USB cam is most likely to be too slow. Existing compression
algorithms (implemented in camera's hardware) are too primitive
for good motion tracking - I doubt even if MPEG would be good
enough for that!

Even worse: most compression algorithms are trade secrets, and Linux
drivers don't implement them - except Philips driver, which contains
a closed-source optional decompressor.

A raw, uncompressed datastream won't give you 30 FPS. If you want you
can run two cameras in parallel; but they don't have any means of
synchronization, unfortunately. Otherwise you could run them in
counterphase.

> If you have any comment - specially about the choice of the cameras (should
> be small, resist to shocks and vibrations and as cheap as possible) I'm very
> interested too !

You might need to develop your own camera - which is NOT connected
through USB. bt8xx chips are easy to find, and analog front ends
are also available for $50 or so (the lens, the sensor and some analog
outputs). So depending on what you want you can make a PCI camera.

If you have a FireWire camera it might work for you. But I haven't
seen any.

Dmitri

--
The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children.
  (Linus Torvalds.)