bttv weirdness

Howdy:

I have a Cybertainment video email thing (with a bt878 chip) that
has two RCA video inputs and one S-Video input (but no TV tuner
stuff).  I tried to get updates to the buggy windoze drivers, but it
appears the company has fallen off the face of the planet (or at
least changed names or something).  I found some windoze drivers and
capture software that actually work okay, so I know the hardware
(bt878 card, camera, etc) works.

I have a Soyo Dragon with 1.2 GHz Athlon, 256 MB DDR memory, Voodoo
Banshee AGP, Buslogic SCSI, SBLive, NetGear NIC, and the bt878 card.
  I upgraded the RedHat kernel from 2.4.2 to 2.4.7 and all the
modules seem to load fine (see below).  The chipset on the Soyo
board is some kind of hybrid, at least it uses the latest 266 MHz
VIA chipset, but the hardware monitoring stuff uses an SiS chip.
I'm no expert, but I don't think it's a standard VIA
northbridge/southbridge setup.

When I try and run xawtv (the latest as of today), it totally horks
up the video before it even finishes loading.  Sometimes it goes
into intermittent mode, where it seems frozen, but will keep going
in fits and starts, and if I'm lucky I can get a responsive xterm
and kill the xawtv process.  But even then, fonts and things in
other windows are garbled, and I still need to restart X before it
comes back all the way.  Other times, it pretty much locks up with a
garbage display of some kind and won't respond to anything.
Videodog pretty much produces garbage.

I've been going through a maze of docs, plus searching the mailing
list archives, but I'm still lost.

Questions:

How do I tell what version of bttv is in the 2.4.7 kernel?

If I need to upgrade, how do replace the kernel bttv stuff with the
new stuff?

Should I try the v4l-2 stuff?

Are there any module options that I could try?

The link to the (old) mini-HOWTO was broken; is that too old to help me? Does anyone know where it is, or is there a newer one?

After a clean boot, I get:

[root@rama /root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sr_mod                 13312   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  27872   0  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
emu10k1                43120   1  (autoclean)
soundcore               3568   4  (autoclean) [emu10k1]
tuner                   4560   0  (autoclean) (unused)
bttv                   55664   0  (autoclean)
i2c-algo-bit            6976   1  (autoclean) [bttv]
i2c-core               13280   0  (autoclean) [tuner bttv i2c-algo-bit]
videodev                4896   2  (autoclean) [bttv]
tdfx                   48912   1
autofs                  9184   1  (autoclean)
tulip                  35360   1  (autoclean)
BusLogic               86112   3
sd_mod                 11136   3
scsi_mod               86784   3  [sr_mod BusLogic sd_mod]

Here is the PCI device listing:

[root@rama /root]# cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
   Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
     Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266] (rev 0).
       Master Capable.  Latency=8.
       Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe3ffffff].
   Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
     PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266 AGP] (rev 0).
       Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=12.
   Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
     Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000
(rev 8).
       IRQ 3.
       Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=20.
       I/O at 0xd000 [0xd01f].
   Bus  0, device   9, function  1:
     Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! (rev 8).
       Master Capable.  Latency=32.
       I/O at 0xd400 [0xd407].
   Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
     SCSI storage controller: BusLogic BT-946C (BA80C30)
[MultiMaster 10] (rev 8