Re: OT? deinterlacing

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:13:43 -0400, Mike Frisch wrote:

>> etc.), the different gui, and making the assembler code compile using
>> gnu assembler tools.
>
>Agreed.  It wouldn't be a small project, but at least the Win32 source
>is available for those wishing to undertake it.  If I had more time (and
>experience :-), I would definitely put an effort forth.

Now seems like a good time to pipe up.  I have been lurking for a
week or so.  Browsing archives and such.

I have a client that has a product they are developing which does
inspection of aircraft engine turbines via a very small camera on a
remote gimbal.  The handheld unit uses Linux and X to display the
video in a window while they snake the camera in and then snap a
picture of what they are looking at.

They have been complaining about "lines" in the video during camera
movement.  I haven't actually seen the artifacts yet so I can't be
sure. (I get a system today) But from what I have read it seems like
this interlacing comb effect is a good canidate for the problem.

I believe the problem is further exacerbated by the fact that they
run the X server (savage MX/IX chipset)  in rotated (portrait mode)
so that the screen appears closer to a clipboard or piece of paper.
All the rotation is done in software via a virtual frame buffer.

The video system is the saa7111 with a saa7146 Multimedia processor.

If indeed this is the problem then it will be my task to
solve/minimize it.  In which case this de-interlacer might be what I
need.  However, there isn't much info about the internals on it on
the sourceforge page.  Any pointers to the algorithms used?

Am I correct that descaler just uses one half of the frame and then
scales up the video?  If so then this is not a acceptable solution
since halving the video resolution won't go over well for an
inspection product.

Switching the camera isn't much of an option either.  There is so far
only one camera they have found thats small enough for thier app.
Perhaps it could be coaxed to provide something  other than NTSC but
available docs on the camera are minimal.

Kinda seems like "you can't get there from here" but if thats the
case then I need to know that as well.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx               501.846.5777