regarding MJPEG/V4L kernel extensions

Hello,

I sent a topic to mjpeg-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx concerning the
MJPEG kernel extensions to the V4L API, Andrew Stevens suggested to
forwardit to Alan Cos who suggested to forward it to you, so maybe you
guys know more about it? :-). If I'm on the wrong mailinglist (again),
please tell me.

(btw, "gst" is gstreamer in this message)
[..start of forwarded message..]
Second, I noticed that the gst-guys had already given a mjpeg format entry
in their generic v4l plugin. I didn't use this since it would limit myself
(no subframe capture) or I would have to extend the plugin with more
options that nobody else uses (like subframe, decimation, etc) because
they're not supported in the generic BTTV driver. So for now, I use a new
plugin. However, this made me think: why is there actually a whole set of
MJPEG extensions.... Would it have been possible to embed these MJPEG
extension kernel calls in the V4L-generic interface? So then, I would
simply capture with format=VIDEO_PALETTE_MJPG and use the VIDIOC* kernel
calls instead of MJPIOC_* kernel calls. Does anybody have a clue why this
hasn't been done like this? In my opinion, the current solution works
wonderful but it could be seen as kind of "attacking the simplicity of V4L"
in the way that you don't conform to the V4L-standard (assuming that would
have been possible).... On the other hand, the mjpeg/zoran chips do course
have features which might not be supported in video4linux itself (I do
know, however, that there is a kernel call in video4linux for
subframe/decimated capture - it's just not used in BTTV, but that would
have been possible!)...... So, does anybody have a clue regaring the
reasons for these kernel extensions instead of using basic V4L-functions?
[..end of forwarded message..]

I'm really not suggesting to rewrite the zoran drivers to conform to the
generic video4linux API, if it would be possible at all - we just got into
the kernel and we don't need API changes then. However, it might be
interesting to see whether you can - in theory - do all the MJPEG/zoran
capture work using generic video4linux calls, since some of the MJPEG
calls (MJPIOC_SYNC, MJPIOC_QBUFS, ...) also exist in generic video4linux.
It would also prevent a lot of extra extensions to video4linux2 (because we
would then, for video4linux2, just use the generic calls instead of
recreate our extensions) which, as a consequence, would make it possible
for simple video4linux applications to record from MJPEG devices as well
with only little extra work....

Thanks for any comments,

Ronald

--