Help Reqd: Should I write a driver conforming to the v4l2 spec.

Hi,
 I have a chip which accepts Digital Transport i.e a stream of video/audio packets as it's main input. Internally
it converts these streams into image formats and provides output fit for display.
On reading the specs what I understood is that v4l2 devices accept images of different formats as a basic input.

1) Can v4l2 be used for Digital Transport Input devices.
2) What would be benefits that I could get by doing so?
3)  Thirdly how popular is this standard.
4) Is there any application which uses Digital Transport input device.

Thanks for all help,
 Regards,
 Arthi.V

Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin@xxxxxxxxx and delete this mail
from your records.