which video card(s) and software recommended ?

 Hello,

  I read through some docs on the livid website, but I haven't arrived to
any conclusions as to what working features might I get with current Liunx
software driving which card.

  Please point me to a URL where I could find this stuff or please share
with the rest of us your personal experiences or things you know of on
this subject.

  I'm about to buy a 1200+MHz Athlon computer (200/266 FSB) with APG 4x,
ATA/100, 2x40GB 7200 HDs, and I was wondering which video card(s) could I
purchase to help me do some of the following (in order of preference) :

  o Don't spend more than $350 USD on the video card equipment.

  o Run this on Linux 2.4+

  o Have RCA TV-Out, so I can play DVDs on the TV in the living room (I
hope that my 25ft RCA cables will not degrade picture quality visibly).
(If coax keeps quality better on 25-30ft, coax output would be nice too.)

  o Play stuff (DVDs, VideoCDs, recorded HD stuff) on my monitor (I have
an old fixed-frequency 19" IBM 6091)

  o Have Cable and RCA TV-In, so I can *capture* (== record) video stream.
Can I achive full North American TV resolution at good/very good rates ?
Recording could be perhaps done with postponed compression. I.e. record
high quality now onto one HD, compress onvernight using software
compression onto CD-R/CD-RW. Which software would I use for this ?

  o Have OpenGL/Mesa 3D drivers under XFree86

  o Be able to capture one thing and at the same time play something else,
such as recorded stuff from HD / CD or from a Video CD. (I hope the
CPU/ATA/SCSI/AGP buses would have enough bandwidth to do recording and
play at the same time.)

  o Play TV on my monitor (I have an old fixed-frequency 19" IBM 6091)

  o Have DRI/DRM (3D?) drivers under XFree86

Also a nice thing would be hardware DVD player / decoder.
If I could achieve most of the above with a multifreq monitor, I would
consider upgrading my fixed-freq monitor to something more modern.

 Thanks all in advance for your input,

   John

PS: plz reply to trylinuxvideo-at-ied-dot-com

--
-- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
               ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##