V4L2 todos & settops

I have been investigating V4L2 for applicability for a settop device. I have a couple of concerns that I would like to get some feedback on. First, I don't see a clear implementation using V4L2 when the video/audio streams are handled by dedicated chips and the linux driver just controls those chips. I would like to see V4L2 have the same interface for manipulating video that is going to a Linux memory as one going between two chips (i.e. MPEG decoder and video display device). The other issue I see concerning settops is integration of V4L2 and LinuxDVB. I don't see much cooperation between the standards at this point, but I'm new to this. What direction do you think the Linux TV Alliance will take using these standards? Are there any other projects that overlap what V4L2 and LinuxDVB are trying to do?

Looking forward to your comments.

--
W. David Kesselring
Atmel Corporation