Re: Fwd: Re: Re: V4L2 to-do list]

To be honest, we didn't really know what we were doing (with regard to software peripheral
to Linux) when we started this.  We had a GTK+ application (on X) and a proprietary driver, neither
of which is still used.  The concensus was that X was too bloated, and we wanted to boot
from a disk-on-chip, if needed.  In fact, we see embedded Linux as the natural platform for
this hardware.  Hard drives are needed primarily for PVR in a set-top box.

So, running without X meant that we needed a good framework to do video and graphics.  We
saw V4L2 as better than V4L, and as a reasonable starting point for the kernel-mode support.
Someone here also recommended Microwindows as the user-mode interface -- and it has
worked well.  Many of us are familiar with the Win32 API, so this was a nice fit.  You will see on
the web site http://www.linux4.tv/ that Century Software has helped significantly with this project.

There is some documentation of the software architecture burried in the tar balls somewhere.
In it is where we had to deviate from the V4L2 API and why.  I agree that more is needed.

Because the Geode is an X86 processor, among many other things, there are some tricks
that we do with video to improve the quality (genlocking) and allow alpha blending and high
performance VBI capture.  These tricks are not supported in any existing API, as far as I know.
This is one of the reasons why we want to expose the code to the community -- so the best
solutions will eventually surface.

Thanks for your comments.

     -- Peter

                    alan@xxxxxxxx
                    om                   To:     video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx@Internet
                                         cc:     romain@xxxxxxxxxxx@Internet, (bcc: Peter
                    08/28/01             Lohmann/Americas/NSC)
                    09:50 AM             Subject:     Re: Fwd: Re:  Re: V4L2 to-do list]

> speak for NSC (I'm just an engineer).  Most large companies are closed by

Thanks for the background. Firstly Im curious why you would use video4linux
if the sidechannel is wired to the geode and could be driven by X11, is this
specifically a design decision that comes about though nanogui (which I'm
pleased to see is finding real users more and more now)

We do have other folks using these zv-bus and similar pixelstream inputs
but so far they have relied on X11 to do the work (indeed in many cases they
share registers with normal video ops so you'd go very rapidly mad trying to
do the locking).

A "Here is what we are adding and why" would be good to read. Mostly though
you should talk to Gerd. Video4linux for 2.5 is his ball now, although I
keep interfering when I shouldnt

Alan