Re: Fwd: Re: Re: V4L2 to-do list]

Actually, open source was *always* the plan for our V4L2 driver (that's why we
started with a well accepted open source base API).  There are several layers
to the project, the kernel-mode layer being V4L2, the upper user-mode layer
being LinuxTV and our own middleware.  There is even application level
code witch uses a browser within Microwindows on an accellerated framebuffer.

If you look at the archive for this list you will see that we periodically sought
opinions from this forum -- and the feedback is reflected in the code.

However, you will find that there are significant architectural differences between
bttv (for example) and geode_v4l2.  First, geode_v4l2 uses a side-port video
decoder (saa7114).  It sends decoded digital video to the VIP using ITU656.
It also has a video encoder, enhanced VBI slicing support, and alpha blending,
(among many other things).  You may even think of this as somewhere between
GATOS and bttv.

Although other people here now work on this (and they have always lurked
on this list), I will tell you that we are *very* interested in your critique.  I don't
speak for NSC (I'm just an engineer).  Most large companies are closed by
nature; and when you working within the open source community, there are
corporate cultural hurdles to be negotiated.  So, we were not being silent
to snub the community.

Thoughts?

     -- Peter

                    romain@eproce
                    ss.fr                To:     video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx@Internet
                                         cc:     (bcc: Peter Lohmann/Americas/NSC)
                    08/28/01             Subject:     Fwd: Re:  Re: V4L2 to-do list]
                    05:34 AM

The reason why NSC (aka National Semiconductors) has been silent on
their V4L2 project until now is that the Open Source aspect was not part
of their initial plans.

In order to get the same source code a few weeks ago, I had to spend
some non-negligible time contacting NSC, obtaining and signing a NDA,
describing my company and our projects to the NSC french representative,
signing some more licence agreements ...

Now, the source is available for the Open Source community and we should
say "Bravo !" and thank NSC for this decision. They realized that the
best way for encouraging linux developers to work on their Geode
platform was the OSS way. Great !!

But how to handle this specific V4L2 implementation ? Personally, I
think it would be a bad decision to simply ignore it. In fact, they have
added what was missing in the API for their specific needs, and now they
give back their changes to the community.

It is time for the "peer-review" process, ins't it ? After that, why not
   trying to establish a kind of convergence between the official V4L2
and the NSC-specific one ?

Christopher Ross wrote:
 > Curious, the site didn't ask me to register or such.
 >
 > I was thinking more along the lines of had *they* (Nat Semi) folded it
 > back into the mix or forked a new version specifically for their machine?
 > Or now are we in the position of having another, different, version? One
 > that works on their machine but not on anything else, but which includes
 > useful stuff it would be nice if they gave back?
 >
 > This is presumably a different fork from the Nokia stuff, the LinuxTV
 > stuff et. al.
 >
 > Chris R.
 >
 > On Tuesday 28 August 2001 13:18, Alan Cox wrote:
 >
 >>>Still, it would seem churlish not to consider whether or not their
 >>>work (license permitting, as I'm sure it must) was worthy of folding
 >>>back into the mix, to misappropriate a culinary term.  Unless, of
 >>>course, Alan or Bill's already looked at what they've done and
 >>>dismissed it.  In which case I will defer to their far greater
 >>>knowledge on such matters.
 >>>
 >>I looked around their site briefly and what they had was all only
 >>downloadable if you registered and stuff at that point, so I've not
 >>bothered. I have better things to do with my time.
 >>
 >>Alan

Romain Vignes <romain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Directeur Technique - eProcess
Tel: +33 (0)4 67 13 50 70