Sony Vaio/Intel 815em TV-Out

I've asked this unfruitfully before, but I'd thought I'd try again and
include some of the information I have tracked down myself.  Perhaps if
no one knows the whole answer, they can at least piggyback some new
information on top of what I have now.

I have a Sony Vaio FX220 laptop.  This machine is based on the Intel
815em chipset, which incorporates quite a few peripheral functions:
notably, video, sound, and ethernet.  XFree86 4.0.3 works no problem
with the the stock i810 driver, though resolutions less than 1024x768
seemed to only be supported through centering.

The laptop has a NTSC video out port.  Under Windows, output is switched
from the LCD to the TV-Out port via Fn-F8.  This does not work under
linux.  Nor does Fn-F7 work to switch output to the RGB monitor output.
Linux CAN detech these key combos through the ponypi device included in
recent kernels (I'm using 4.4.9).  Based on this and some other things
I've read on the net, I'm guessing that responding to these keys is
handled in software on this laptop, as opposed to being handle by the
BIOS as in some other machines.

The 815em's handling of video is a bit complex.  The chipset supports
output of digital video (DV) through a 12-bit bus.  The digital video
goes to an Intel 82807aa chip which either drives the LCD screen or
passed the DV signals to a TV-encoder chip.  The 82807 chip is controled
through a 2 wire "GMBus", which appears to just be a particular
implementation of an i2c bus.  The TV-encoder chip is apparently
controlled through one of the standard i2c busses of the chipset.  Based
on what I've read (mostly from Intel datasheets and programming
manuals), the 82807 is pretty smart, and getting TV-out to work seems
like it ought to take little more than sending a command on the GMBus to
toggle between LCD and DV pass thru mode.  Of course, their may be
timing issues I haven't considered.

I'm 90% sure the above is correct.  If anyone knows any point where I am
for sure wrong, please correct me.  If anyone can elaborate on any of
the above, I'd appreciate that too.  In particular, if anyone has or can
point me to info on the programming interface for the "GMBus", that
would be very helpful.  It'd also be great if someone happened to know
the make and model of the TV-encoder chip in this laptop.  I asked Sony
more than two weeks ago, but they have not responded.

Jay