Re: How is audio handled from the MSP3400 forward?

An update, and request for confirmation / suggestions:

I'm trying to use RealProducer 8.5 on RH7.1 (kernel 2.4.2/bttv 0.7.57)
for live capture from a Hauppauge WinTV Theater card. Video works fine
now, but audio is silent. I've eliminated all the soundcard (EMU10K1 -
SB Live!) issues by concentrating on the line output of the WinTV direct
to a pair of amplified speakers.

If I use xawtv (3.34) to select input, the sound correctly follows the
video source. Silence if I use RealProducer :-(

Also goes to silence when I close xawtv - and that's different to how it
was on RH6.2 (kernel 2.2.19/bttv 0.5.35) - the last selected source used
to continue to play.

That was the big clue. RealProducer audio used to work on
6.2/2.2.19/0.5.35, and I'm betting that this is because the WinTV card
audio was left in its last state.

This was where I found Gerd's Sound-FAQ in the xawtv docs very useful -
by adding  "bttv_gpio=1" to the insmod options in /etc/modules.conf, the
card gpio messages get written to dmesg, and I was able to compare the
startup of xawtv and RealProducer (rmmod bttv, etc between).

Initialisation is identical up to a point where we get a series of
[audio: off] on both, but which xawtv then follows with [audio: tuner],
[audio: off], [audio: extern], whilst RealProducer stays silent.

I hope that I will be able to get Real to address this issue, but in the
meantime:

a: does it make sense to anyone who's been involved in this field?

b: is there a workround - perhaps other than setting all the elements of
the audiomux array to the [audio: external] value?

Thanks to Gerd for his excellent documentation and debugging tools, and
apologies for not using them earlier :-)

--
Mike Onyskiw