i815em tv out on sony vaio fx220

Just bought a Sony Vaio FX220 laptop and am trying to get the tv-out
features to work from linux/xfree86.  According to the specs, this
machine uses the Intel 815em chipset for video; I cannot find
information about any additional hardware for the ntsc output.  xfree86
is configured at 1024x768x24, but I can Ctrl-Alt-+ switch to 800x600.
Fn-F8 supposedly switches from LCD to tv-out, but is completely
unresponsive (doesn't even beep or seem to try switching modes).  TV out
works fine from Windows ME, though any resolution higher than 640x480
requires scrolling around to see the whole screen (the docs sort of
claim that 800x600 is possible without scrolling, though a few sentences
later they suggest that 640x480 is the greatest nonscrolling
resolution).

>From reading the X sources and 815 programming manual from Intel, I've
gleaned that XFree86 4.0.3 doesn't have any support for the tv-out
capability in software.  Has any of the V4L work produced a utility for
making the LCD<->TV switch for the i815 chipset?  Is anyone working on
such a utility?

Assuming there is no existing software that does what I need, can
someone suggest a nice simple piece of working code that I can peruse to
get some hints on poking at graphics card registers from outside of X. I
may have a go at writing something myself.

(If anyone has any suggestions for making the Fn-F8 switch working from
within Linux and thus bypassing the need for software control
altogether, that'd be great too.)

Thanks in advance.

Jay

PS - Where does the V4L API live these days?  I can't get to
roadrunner.swansea.linux.org.uk.