Re: Overlaying video in XFree4?

> > With Xvideo (which xawtv uses by default if available) the X-Server
> > calls SETFBUF.  Without Xvideo v4l-conf (you can start that one from the
> > command line too and see what it prints) does that job and uses the
> > address returned by the DGA Extention.
>
>  v4l-conf: using X11 display :0
>  dga: version 2.0
>  mode: 1024x768, depth=16, bpp=16, bpl=2048, base=0x401c7000

>  	Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]

That looks like a bug in the S3 driver, it seems to use the virtual
address (i.e. what mmap() returns), not the physical one.  That might
break the v4l module too.

I'd suspect any application which uses DGA will not work because of
that.

>  Hmm, and where can I tell DGA to use the _real_ frameaddress?

You can disable DGA, then use v4l-conf -a <address>.

> > try -noxv.
>
>  Err, i meant -noxv. No different whatsoever.
>  (Probably because i comment out the v4l module :)

Yes, with no Xvideo available -xv / -noxv do nothing ...

>  Through Xvideo it detects YUY2,YV12 and I420 scaling
>  modes. Than it goes off detecting lots of info and
>  finaly tries 3 video modes. The first 2 fail, since
>  the Zoran does not do planar modes (but has YUYV
>  which is not the same as YUY2?) And the last one
>  tries is RGB565? Where does that come from? The Xvideo
>  extention does not seem to support that mode...

But the normal X-Protocol does :-)

>  (And what does the 'Xvideo: no usable video port found'
>  mean? The list below contains 2 '[ok]'s...)

There are two different kids of xvideo ports:  The video ports (what you
get with v4l loaded) which can be used to ask the X-Server to display
video in window foo.  -xv / -noxv switches this on/off.

The other one are image scaling ports.  These can be used to give the
X-Server a yuv image and let the gfx card conversion + scaling.  This is
what the movie players are using (and xawtv tries to use in grabdisplay
mode).  -scale / -noscale enables/disabled this one.

Are VIDEO_PALETTE_YUYV + VIDEO_PALETTE_YUV422 the same?

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.