Re: hanging system with bttv

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> Justin Schoeman wrote:
> >
> > Jacek Pop³awski wrote:

> > > ...and there is no problem on bttv2! system works stable with zapping
> >
> > There are (were) a number of serious problems with bttv versions before
> > 0.8.x.  In fact, I have never found a version that has not reliably
> > crashed any computer I have tried it on.  This was one of the reasons
>
>         Interesting. I've been using a Hauppauge 401 in a dual celeron (Abit
> BP6) for well over a year now with various 0.7.x versions of bttv,
> without a single crash.
>
>         I use it a LOT. I don't capture much video, but it's my primary
> television. I often forget to shut off the video in kwintv before
> turning off my monitor, come back several hours later (say from before i
> go to bed at night to after I get back from work the next day), and find
> that it's still running. I once left for a weekend camping trip and came
> back to find it still happily overlaying video three days later.
>
>         Over the past several months I've been using debian 2.2 with everything
> from about 2.2.14 to 2.2.19. I usually stay current with bttv 0.7.x when
> recompiling my kernel.
>
>         Now, when i was using an old IBM PCServer320 with a Neptune chipset,
> man, did THAT ever crash left and right. But we know the Neptune chipset
> is wonky. Also, I can't reliably overlay video on my Athlon box with an
> Irongate chipset, but we also know that the Irongate chipset is a little
> wonky.

I have used all versions of bttv from the early 0.5.x days, to the
latest 0.7.x drivers, with various kernels, on K6-2 266MHz (Via MVP3
chipset), K7 600MHz (Via KX133 chipset) and PII 450 (Intel BX chipset).
Not one of those completes a 90 minute capture under high system load -
all lock solid within a few minutes (note that TV viewing is fine - very
little can go wrong in the preview code...).  bttv2 (and ,on the K7 600
at least, bttv 0.8.x) work reliably though.

-justin