Re: hanging system with bttv

> > Comments?
>
>  I think it might be an idea to simply wrap the v4l2 parts of 0.8.x up in
>  some #ifdefs, and put it in the kernel.

That would still require some videodev.[ch] patching (add fops to
video_device + the userspace copying ioctl wrapper).

>  other people also experience random hangs with it.  I have looked long
>  and hard for the problems, but they remain very stubornly hidden. 0.8.x
>  seems to work just fine though, and seems to be a much better driver.

Nearly nothing from the old code left, everything but some risc
generation code is rewritten from scatch).  The 0.7.x codebase has way
to much old, historical cruft from 0.4.x days ...

>  I would also suggest (IMHO) removing the "sloppy" option, and let
>  application writers fix the applications to work correctly with the
>  formal V4L API (although it may not be that important to enforce the API
>  if it will soon be superceded by v4l2...).

For 2.5.x I would agree, but breaking stuff hard (even if it is just bug
compatibility) within the stable kernel series is IMHO out of question.
sloppy defaults to "off", that is enouth.

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.