Re: Screen having stale lines interlacing or turning half black upon resizing (bttv)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 12:19:29AM +0300, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> I think I've asked you before, but I wondered if a solution was found. I
> have an NVidia card, using the proprietary driver and XFree86 4.0.3's
> v4l extension. Ever since a certain kernel upgrade (2.4.3 to 2.4.4 I
> think),

Oh, it used to work fine?  That one is new ...

> a strange problem begun showing -- after I resize the window to
> a certain (reasonable) size, bad lines begin to appear from the right
> side of the screen. They are 1 pixel high and about 1/4 window wide and
> usually appear for 1 second when the video scene changes considerably.
> If I resize the window even more, half of it becomes black and the other
> half is still disorted with the bad lines.

That's a common problem with 32bpp.  Many gfx cards can't deal with the
data rate -- what you see are aborted PCI transfers.  Try using 16bpp
instead.

You might also check what kernel change exactly caused that.  I'd start
checking the changes in drivers/pci.  If you are still using 2.4.4 try
to upgrade.  IIRC there was a broken pci quick for some via chipset some
time ago ...

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.