Logic suggests w3cam Problem in combination with CPIA V4L & Mandrake8.0

When serving images using v4l and a bttv 878 framegraber - no problems

When looking at Images locally with xawtv no problem either with cpia (within ~10 seconds the image adjusts to optimal brightness
contrast levels)

When looking at the image from the cpia v4l source freshly or after more than ~ 10 minutes after running xawtv (during the day) I
get a white screen (at nights the lights of the city look normal)

This says the cpia-v4l driver itself can work with an image adjusting agent such as xawtv -

w3cam.cgi says it only supports kernels 2.2.x <- is that maybe the reason ?

I don't have a setup to verify with a different kernel - but frankly I doupht it it - it could be easyly that I was not able to
recompile or configure the cgi on the system and am using the binary that came in an w3cam rpm labeled as 3.6.6 version

Any help on this would be great !

Thanks

Tobias