Re: Recording mpeg from camcorder...

Hello Lokesh,

Saturday, June 09, 2001, 3:26:01 AM, you wrote:

LS> 1. I could'nt figure out how to connect the audio.  The S-Video cable
LS>    carries only video (please correct me if I'm wrong), and for
LS>    composite, the audio connector at my tuner card end is different
LS>    from the one in my Television, while the video is same).
LS>    Any ideas?

Plug the audio connector into Line-In on sound card. It's the safest
way ( you don't have to figure how to make sound work in tuner - last
time when I had working sound with the same card was with bttv 0.6.4 ).

LS> 2. My system is AMD K6-II 400 MHz.  Under Xawtv(-3.37), while
LS>    recording to AVI Riff format, I lose a lot of frames even under 15
LS>    fps.  Probably due to my HDD speed....  I have lots of RAM (224
LS>    MB), and can afford a 180 MB ramdisk, if it helps.  If anyone has
LS>    any experience with this, please tell...

Without compression 384x288x25 is 5 Mb/s. You will run out of space on
ramdisk in less than a minute.

LS>    I've tried avifile, but have only an older version which crashes
LS>    out-of-the-box.  The newer versions fail to compile on the picky
LS>    RH7 compiler, though it's been some time since I tried last.
LS>    If anyone knows any optimized recording software, which can record
LS>    at 25 fps on my hardware, please let me know !

Version 0.53.5 should be correctly compilable with default RH 7.0
compiler. Although your machine is rather slow, you should be able
to encode at least 320x240x25 using Indeo Video 5 compressor. IIRC avifile
also includes a Motion JPEG codec, but it is time limited and it has
already expired. If you set date to somewhere in January, it should
work.

--
Best regards,
 Eugene