Re: New capture core - testers/developers wanted!

Alan Cox wrote:

> > The capture core features perfect A-V synchronisation, irrespective of
> > frame drops/video loss, etc.  It also has dynamic time warping of the
> > audio stream to ensure that EXACTLY the right amount of audio data is
> > written for the number of video frames (at least averaged over a couple
> > of frames).  This removes the problem of synch drift over long
> > recordings (without any clicks/pops).
>
> Nice.
>
> > At the moment it only works for v4l2 and oss, and can produce RTjpeg
> > encoded QT files (which can be editted with bcast2000), or DivX encoded
>
> Why does it need v4l2 ?

The core uses deep buffering to give some latitude to the synch
routines, and absorb any transient latencies.  Until v4l gets
timestamping, the only way to buffer deeply with v4l would be to have a
tight loop CSYNCing frames as soon as possible, and timestamping them,
then copying them into a userspace buffer - which is a hideous waste of
processing power.

I do intend to write such a core (the program has a very modular
interface just for this purpose), but I want to get eveything else
sorted out first.

Justin

PS - applogoies to those of you who tried unsuccessfully to download it
- the webserver is up again (after much blood sweat and tears... I HATE
SOLARIS ;-)).  There is also a patch fixing Eugene's bug, but please
note that bttv 0.8.16 does not provide sequence numbers, and as a
consequence will not work.