RE: Re: xawtv, optimal fullscreen resolution

Title: RE: Re: xawtv, optimal fullscreen resolution

> Trying to compensate for these edges would
> require extra
> silicon on the chips -> expensive!
>
> NB: does anyone have pointers on the techniques used for this
> de-jagging?

Hmmm, something that flashes into my mind (and I should probably patent it before I post it ;-)

Using full frames gives jaggies, using scaled fields gives lower resolution, but if the second field is scaled and offset, we would actually get a picture that is without jaggies and should appear to be full res!

And it would take virtually no processing power!

Maybe an ASCII graph show what I mean:

original:
field1  field2
   1       2
   3       4
   5       6
---> time

progressive, full frame:
frame1  frame2
   1       1
   2       2
   3       3
   4       4
   5       5

progressive, scaled fields, convetional:
frame1  frame2
   1       2
   1       2
   3       4
   3       4
   5       6
   5       6

progressive, scaled field, line offset
frame1  frame2
   1
   1       2
   3       2
   3       4
   5       4
   5       6
           6

It should become obvious that the lines 1,2,3 are shown at the correct time AND close to the correct position than in sample 2.

Ignore me if I am completely off, or if this is done already anyways