Re: v4l2 + select() + read()

>  It's up to the driver writer. I really don't think this needs to be
>  dictated.

I think it should be clear for a application how a driver reacts.
Otherwise we will get small but annonying incompatibilities between
drivers ...

>       if there is no data in the throw buffer, or the data in the throw
>  buffer is "too old" then initiate a new frame capture. If it was a
>  blocking read() then sleep, else return an error code (I forget which).

"too old" being how much?  one second?

>  I guess for non-blocking read() capture, the driver would have to
>  automatically initiate a capture on a read() call or else implement
>  blocking read() and non-blocking read() the same way. That latter is not
>  as bad as it sounds, because the video source produces frames
>  continuously, so, in a sense, there is always data to be read.

... with a delay between 40 and 80 ms in case of bttv 0.8.x and PAL,
which is alot (close to 0.1 second in the worst case).

  Gerd

--
Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxxx>  --  SuSE Labs, Außenstelle Berlin