Re: [OT] 3dfx.com. nvidia.com unreachable

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > I'M not the one who's blaming routing hiccups on Abovenet blocking, or
> > > recommending everyone jump ship to punish Abovenet.
> >
> > Nor me.
>
> It appears to me that it *was* you who said:
>
> > Yep. Your work should probably consider changing ISP, or finding out if your ISP
> > is permitted to do that to you in the contract without permission.
> >
> > Just ask them how many business orders they may be losing, and how many folks
> > on the other side can't see your website
>
> When you recommended his work should probably consider changing ISPs, I
> took it to mean that you recommended his work should probably consider
> changing ISPs. But that's just me.

	Oh, come on, he only recommended that one company try to change their
isp. And it's perfectly reasonable advice. Some providers are better
than others.

	Granted, the problem may not even be above.net. The procedure should be
roughly as follows:

	1: Query your provider's front-line support on the issue.

	2: They won't know anything, so pull some strings / do some digging and
find the phone number of their actual NOC. Pretend to work for someone
upstream from them, and tell them that your customers have said that
their customers are having trouble coming through from your part of the
net. (You'd be amazed what you can learn when you claim to be a Qwest
technician)

	3: They'll blow you off, so, call front line support again and give
them a hard enough time to get recognized as a squeeky wheel.

	4: If the problem doesn't go away, seek a different upstream provider.
At this point it doesn't matter if it's not their fault. If they're not
doing what's needed to resolve the issue, they don't deserve your
business. Sure, YOU could call their upstream provider and pretend to
work for them, but their upstream provider would ask to call back, and
they'd have the number on file. Not that they'd really call back.

	At least, that's how it usually seems to go.