Re: STB TV PCI - how to get TV audio working?

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> > composite and S-video in, as well as an audio input. Sadly it doesn't
> > have the +5V power connector that my US Robotics BigPicture Camera
> > wants, and old capture card had - I guess RatShack will have one.
>
>         You can always attempt to draw 5v off the keyboard port :)

I'll keep that in mind ;-) I did try keeping my old card plugged in as a +5V
generator, but Windows claimed there was a resource conflict.

>         STB did a lot of OEM tv tuners for gateway. I'm suspecting that what
> you have there is actually an STB DesktopTV card - iirc, philips tuner,
> bt878, TDA7432 audio.

I think you're right - I found some pictures on the web of that card that look
like mine. Certainly it's got the Phillip's tuner and Bt878. I'll have to take a
look at the card to see what the audio chip actually is - it may be misidentifying
it.

> I have one in an athlon at work. Got it for $29 on
> ebay.

Not bad. Incidently I just checked e-bay for Win98 CDs as a way around the Win95
driver problem, as was amused to see that they're all being sold with garbage "as
is" hard drives or motherboards per Microsoft's legal requirements. I'm surprised
they don't insist it comes with a barf bag.

>         The differences between the OEM version and the retail version appear
> to have been purely analog (the missing line-in jack), so you could try
> looking on STB/3DFX/nVidia's sites for DesktopTV drivers.

Unfortunately nVidia appeares to have abandoned support for the older stuff. Looks
like I'm going to have to borrow a win98 install CD just to be able to get a
working driver. I'm sure that's OK under fair use law :-)

Thanks for your help.

Ben