Problem Installing updated bttv/i2c on RH 6.2

I'm trying to update bttv on my RH 6.2 system to 0.7.67. The bttv faq indicates that you must install the new i2c stack first. It states:

"If you have installed i2c without patching your kernel tree, you´ll end up with two i2c.h files. The old one lives in the kernel source tree, the new one in somewhere in /usr/local/include (default install). bttv needs the new one for obvious reasons, but the kernel build system looks in the kernel source tree first => gotcha. Renaming the kernels header file should fix the problem."

I am running the original 2.2.14 kernel that came with the RH 6.2 distribution. I compiled i2c cleanly, but when the system reboots, I get "unresolved symbol" errors relating to the i2c package. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get i2c installed properly so I can upgrade to bttv 0.7.67? I've recompiled kernels before, but I'd rather not as something usually gets screwed up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Darryl Tang