Re: BT878 Digitizing from Videotape

Dr Alan McIvor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently had to grab some video from VHS videotape using a BT878 and
> found it necessary to alter the brightness and contrast settings in the
> BT878 input section to get a decent picture. Even then, the quality
> wasn't particularly good. Having little experience digitizing from
> videotape, I would like to know if this is something that normally has
> to be done in such situations, or is indicative of problems with the
> videotape or VCR.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan

This is a bit of a shameless plug, but you can try bttv2
(http://bttv-v4l2.sourceforge.net).  Then run vidpanel (one of the
applications available on http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2) - this will
allow you control of all the AGCs/filters/etc available on the 878 -
playing with them can usually give you good results.

-justin