RE: ATI TV Wonder - USB

On 15-May-01 MacGyver wrote:
> I noticed that bttv recently (as of a couple of weeks ago) now supports
> the ATI TV Wonder cards.  I happen to own the ATI TV Wonder USB card,
> which is in essence the same hardware platform, just running over the
> USB bus instead of the PCI bus -- does bttv support USB-based cards yet?
> If not, how much work am I looking at to make the USB version of the
> card work?  As I said, it's pretty much the same hardware running over a
> different bus.  Thoughts/comments/feedback would be appreciated.

I would be surprised if it is the same hardware. most USB capture devices
aren't. The reason is simple. The USB bus doesn't have the bandwidth, so there
is a compression step done at the point of capture (usually a proprietary
compression, hint hint), and then the windows driver will do the necessary
decompression (and since it's a proprietary compression, the Linux driver
won;t be able to do the decompression of the data stream).

I believe that this is how the Win-TV USB device works. I would not be surprised
to learn that the ATI USB device works similiarly.

rgds,

-Greg

"DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and
millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million
machines in use wordwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that
cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do
not denote a higher life form."       (New York Times, November 26, 1991)
| Greg Hosler                           i-net:  hosler@xxxxxxxxxxx    |