Re: Video and Matrox Cards

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:20:37AM -0600, Peter V Amerl wrote:

<snippage>

> Matrox G450 eTV card would be a good choice. I would like to be

</snippage>

> Has anyone tried this card? Does anyone know whether it works
> and how reliable it might be. Any other suggestions in the same
> price range?

I'm pretty sure this card isn't supported by V4L.  To throw in my own experience, the G450 DH card is enough of a PITA that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not interested in doing DH graphics work, either.  It needs proprietary libraries to work (not a big deal) and does some funny things on my own system at home.

To be sure about V4L support, do some digging at http://marvel.sourceforge.net/ and http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/.  I personally use an outboard card, a Pinnacle Studio DC10+, and it's a great card except for the fact that there are no WinNT/2000 drivers for it.  The DC30 support should come along soon, but AFAIK it's not ready yet.

Are you looking to capture, or just watch?  If you want to capture, you're going to need fast disks or an MJPEG card like the DC10/30, but if you just want to watch, any BT8x8 card will do the trick, such as a Huappauge WinTV Go!, which can be had for under $50US.

--
-=|JP|=-    "I'm not unemployed, my career's just in a holding pattern"
Jon Pennington          | Debian 2.3                 -o)