Re: v4l2 + kernel

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> For userland buffers the application has specify that tuple:  either
> register a fixed set of buffers first (QUERYBUF) or fill them for every
> QBUF.  Not sure yet which way is better.

Does the buffer numbers depend on the hardware ? The fixed set of
buffers seems ok for me if the hardware has this kind of "parameter".
The later one has a high cost.
Could we set up both modes, the later one being disabled and used just
when loading the driver ? Maybe the buffer scheme I want to use is not
suitable or its too heavy to use in a TV-like app, that could be set
just for my app, I dont know...
Just trying to help.

> Of course the later is more
> flexible, but allocating new buffers all the time isn't for free (neither
> for the v4l driver nor for the application which might want to put stuff
> directly into X11 MIT SHM blocks for example).

Did I understand it right ? Would be possible to assign a previously
malloc'ed or reserved buffer to v4l2 driver capture overthere ? Like X11
MIT SHM you said, giver the proper format ( that you could set up
previously ) and dump it to a given address ? That would be lovely. I
know this is almost impossible to address, given the complexity and that
a driver should not worry about specific apps.

Anyway, If excuse me if I misunderstood the point. :-)

--
Gleicon S. Moraes

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
                -- Frank Zappa