Re: FW: Oops when rmmoding bttv

Greg Hosler wrote:

> On 23-Apr-01 Gerd Knorr wrote:
> >> what I don't understand is, what is the msp3410,
> >
> > stereo TV sound decoder.
> >
> >> and why is the msp3410
> >> going into auto-detect when the bttv is unloading ?
> >
> > It goes into autodetect on _loading_ (asyncronly in a kernel thread).
> >
> >> I'm wanting to sprinkle some more debugging output into the bttv and related
> >> modules, but I'm not sure where to start looking at.
> >>
> >> any suggestions ?
> >
> > try not loading the audio helper modules (autoload=0 option for bttv),
> > then check which module causes the crashes.
>
> interesting...
>
> I put autoload=0 option for bttv, and now bttv will load/unload effortlessly,
> and flawlessly. looks like one of the helper modules, or an interaction.
>
> The helper modules (judging by prior syslog files) seem to be:
>
>         msp3410
>         tvaudio
>         tda9840
>         tuner
>
> how might I set these to individually autoload (or not) ?

	It appears that you are attacking this with relatively limited
knowledge of the way linux kernel modules work. I would love to refer
you to some documentation, but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be
any worthwhile howto for module use.

	Basically, it sounds like one or more of these modules is loading
inappropriately due to failed detection of the card, or a wrong
configuration of bttv at load time. Either that or they simply don't
work properly with your card. It would be helpful here to know how you
are loading bttv.o and with what options.

	For testing purposes, you should manually load these drivers with
either insmod (which in some cases requires a fully qualified path, and
in others (say, when using busybox insmod), doesn't), or by using
modprobe, which shouldn't need a path but will require that modules.dep
is up to date (see 'man depmod' for details).

	To know which modules you need, you should take the card out of the
computer and look at it to see which chips are on it. The MSP chip will
be hard to miss if you have it, it's not exactly small. The TDA chip
will be a small DIP package.

	You probably don't need tvaudio unless you have a bt878 based card
which does not have an analog audio line-out.

	You definately need tuner.o, unless you have a capture card with no
tuner (hard to miss, it's a big metal box), and if you are loading it
manually you may need to specify what kind of tuner you have. I'm not
entirely sure on this, check the bttv documentation.

	You may or may not wish to also load tvmixer, depending on your
configuration. the MSP chip probably supplies a fader, I forget if the
TDA chip does. At any rate, that one is up to you. The tvmixer module
will set up an OSS-compatible interface to controll the fader (and thus,
the volume settings, and possibly the balance and bass and treble
settings) on the card.

	You can manually configure auto-load by editing your system's
/etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules) file. See 'man modules.conf'
(or 'man conf.modules') for the details, but essentially something like
this:

post-install bttv /sbin/modprobe "-k" tuner
options tuner type=4
post-install tuner /sbin/modprobe "-k" msp3410

	You will need to run 'depmod -a' after editing this file.

	If somebody doesn't cook up a decent modules-howto (the mini-howto
needs to be given a proper burial) some day I guess I'll have to write
one.

 - Eric