video playback WITH captions.

Hello,
	I had recently been trying to setup my PC as VRC, to record
	tv shows and later play them. Now The catch is that I want
	to be able to see captions as well.

	I found VCR-HOWTO and I was able to steup quite nice system
	but it seems that the aviplay expects captions to be recorded
	in some separate file, and does not extract them from 22 (?)
	screen line. (granted the resolution of the recording was not
	best one .. )

	on the other hand most caption decoders expect to read /dev/vbi
	device and thus is not suitable for extracting this info
	form a file.

	This is what I figured out so far. Does anyone know more? Is
	there already working sytem to record some tv program and
	play it back with captions? If not what would be right way
	to do it? Hack captions program to read off file, or perhaps
	while recording save captions to separate file with appropriate
	time stamps?

	and for that matter what's recommented setup to record tv shows
	and then play them back with decent quality of  video,
	audio and captions.

	Thanks,
	Adam

--