Re: v4l2 + kernel

Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > in the kernel, that reason goes away. Once V4L2 is in the kernel, v4l
> > support can later be made optonal, and eventually be phased out.
>
> v4l has been _the_ interface for years.  And it probably takes at least
> one more year until v4l2 shows up in a stable kernel (2.6).  I don't
> think we can phase out v4l1 ...

Yes, it has been _the_ interface for years, but it still remains
hopelessly incomplete and poorly defined.  I don't think there is
anybody who will disagree that this is simply a BTTV interface that was
slightly tidied up, and shoved into the kernel, for lack of anything
better.  It will hopefully go the same way as i2c-old, which had
approximately the same origin, and suffered from many of the same
shortcommings (actually even worse, but  you get the idea)...

-justin