Re: v4l2 + kernel

Hello Gerd,

> IMHO the compatibility layer should'nt be mandatory.  I think the best
> way to handle that is to have a set of helper functions for code which
> likely can be useful for multiple drivers (like translating formats
> between v4l1 <=> v4l2) in a compat module.  The v4l2 driver can use
> all / some / none of these functions.  If it wants to use these
> functions, it simply calls them.

I have no problems with your idea of using the "video_device + fops"
device handling, but I don't understand the idea of removing
the "v4l2-awareness" out of the videodevX-module.

Just to get things right here: do you want to modify the original
videodev1-module to let the v4l2 driver fit into there, or do
you want to modify the videodev2/videodevX-module to let the
v4l drivers fit into there?

I always thought that it would be better to drop videodev1
and modify videodev2, so that v4l1 drivers and apps still work.

At the moment (e.g. with videodevX/videodev2)
there is minimum v4l-backward compatibility code
at least in my v4l2 driver -- and that's good. All important
stuff (ioctl translation, format translation, etc.) is done
outside the v4l2 driver.

Do you really mean to move the responsibility of being
v4l-backward compatible deep down to a v4l2 driver, e.g.
looking at the ioctls, formats and do the translation
by calling helper functions?

At the moment
videodevX adds backward compatibility to any v4l2 without
special help of the driver. With your proposal, we would
have code duplication for v4l backward compatibility
in every v4l2 driver around.

Even good and robust v4l2 drivers, who are v4l1 aware
through videodevX, would need to get tweaked to become
v4l1 aware the way you want it.

I don't think that's a wise idea.

Please correct my if I am terribly wrong on something.

>   Gerd

CU
Michael.