Re: Hauppauge WinTv USB device

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, dpfj wrote:

> > Huh?  The hardware has no controls to adjust bright/contrast/hue/... ?
>
> The hardware has controls to adjust everything and I've tried zero to 128 on everything
> things still come out with a shade of blue. BTW. If xawtv expects 4:2:2 (packed) and the
> driver is only producing 4:2:2 interleaved this is probably why?

The formats for YUV data are usually called packed and planar.  You could also
call the packed format interleaved.  If you tried to treat planar data as
packed or vice versa it would just not work, your image would be more or less
totally screwed up.

The blue tone you see might be the result of a different YUV color spaces.
Unfortunately, people use YUV to refer to more than one different color space.
For instance the YUV data from the bt848 isn't exactly the same as the YUV
colorspace used in JPEG files.  If you make a JPEG file using the YUV data
from a bt848, or probably any other TV based capture card, the image looks
wrong.  I don't remember exactly, but I think it comes out too green.