Hauppauge WinTv USB device

All,

Ok first posting! If I've sent this mail to the wrong newsgroup please tell me.

I've just about got everything working for my Hauppauge WinTv USB device but I have
a few questions about what should be included in the driver.

Just to paint the picture ...

The device uses a Nogatech NT1003-1 chip which supports 3 different formats for the output video data. One is the compressed data format (using an algorithm proprietry to Nogatech), and the other two are YUV 4:2:2 and YUV 4:2:0 raw data formats.

The Nogatech data sheet states it is the responsibility of the software driver to make conversions to provide the application software with several OS standard video data formats.

------------

So, questions ...

1. I've read somewhere (but I can't find it again to ref it, sorry) that kernel drivers should not
encode data, to avoid over complicating them.   Is this still true?

2. If I finally work out how the chip is compressing the data can I post my findings or do people
   think Nogatech will come down on me like a ton of bricks?

3. xawtv determines that my video card supports data in various formats:

This is xawtv-3.36, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.1)
 image format list for port 39
  0x32595559 (YUY2) packed
  0x32315659 (YV12) planar
  0x30323449 (I420) planar
  0x59565955 (UYVY) packed
Xv: using port 39 for hw scaling

The driver spits out YUV 4:2:2 interleaved format or YUV 4:2:0 Planar format. Outputing raw YUV 4:2:2 format with no the video card quite happily displays images (although they are a bit blue baised). YUV4:2:0 doesn't work
at all for me, yet!

How can I tell which hw scaling is being used by the video card to display the images? and not for this
newsgroup why is everything so blue biased?

4. If the solution to (3) is encoding the data to stop the image being too blue, where should the encoding be done -
   in the driver, or the application?

Thanks in advance

Derek Freeman-Jones
dpfj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx