Re: Hauppauge WinTV and VIA Apollo Pro133A possible interference

Hi again,

> I'd say the gfx card can't deal with the data rate.  Guess you are using
> 32 bpp?  With Xvideo it works better simply because yuv video data is
> 16 bpp, i.e. you need half bandwidth only.

the hard- and software setup was exactly the same (Matrox G400 at 24 bpp, X
4.0.2, Kernel 2.4.2-ac2, glibc 2.2.12 etc.etc.).
The "only" things that changed are the mainboard, the CPUs, and the RAM.

Regarding the color depth you are right in a sense, because the mga driver
does not support 32 bpp as such, but reports:
(**) MGA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 24
(==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp

Trials to start X with the default depth set to 32 in XF86Config will fail.

I've tried different PCI slots for the TV card and also checked what happens
when 16bpp is chosen, or X run with a lower screen resolution, but there
seems to be no difference.

One noticeable difference is the 4xAGP option in the Epox board, which of
course was absent in the venerable BP6. AFAIK, the G400 doesn't know anything
about 4xAGP.
I will try to play a bit more with the BIOS settings regarding AGP (there are
quite a few), although I'm quite sure that I've set everything to operate at
maximum speed.

Something that points in the direction you're suggesting (the G400 is the
culprit) is that the "black line" effect is not dependent on the chosen width
of the xawtv window, but on the width of the part that is actually visible on
the screen. So if I cover some portion on the left side of the xawtv window
with another window (no. 2), the black lines will disappear to the right of
the window no. 2.
Probably difficult to imagine.
I can send you some screen shots if that helps (next week, I'm off in Berlin
over the weekend - so near so far ;-) ).

anyway, thanks

Amir