[V4L] Hauppauge, BT878, V4L1, Redhat 7.0, ATI Mach64, bttvgrab-0.15.10, etc, config

Hi V4L'ers,

[ cc to bttvgrab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]

I'm new to video, but not to audio or linux, and need to set up a
hard-disk based video recorder that I'd like to be Linux based.

So I read the docs and thought that Hauppauge cards were the best bet
and installed a WinTV-PCI-FM Model 647 that bttvgrab -i tells me has a
BT878 chip.  I've put this in a 950MHz Athlon, 768 Mbyte RAM, with a
recent 75Gbyte IBM HDD and the ATI 8 Mbyte Rage Pro AGP card.

Redhat 7.0 finds the card and loads the bttv drivers:

[root@chomp /root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
bttv                   33824   0  (autoclean)
i2c-old                 3520   1  (autoclean) [bttv]
videodev                2656   2  (autoclean) [bttv]

All going okay so far....

xawtv installed from Redhat 7.0 gives the amusing (not) error message:

[root@chomp /root]# xawtv
This is xawtv-3.24, running on Linux/i686 (2.2.16-22)
visual: id=0x20 class=4 (TrueColor), depth=16
Xlib:  extension "XVideo" missing on display "chomp:0.0".
The app-defaults file is not correctly installed.
Your fault (core dumped)

Even though an strace reveals that it finds my
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Xawtv file which contains a copy of the
example init file from the manual.   My reading of the manual says that
-noxv should disable the Xvideo  extention, it makes no difference.
I've added:

Section "Module"
  Load "v4l"
EndSection

to /etc/X11/XF86Config which results in:

(--) no ModulePath specified using default: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
v4l: Unknown error loading module

So no luck there.

tvset (from tvset990501.tar.gz) fares much better - I can see three
versions of the image I want, sometimes in colour, splatted all over the
screen.

But what really appeals in terms of functionality is bttvgrab.  I'm
running version 0.15.10 and from the man page I'd like to run

root# ./bttvgrab -o pmm-best -t -y

but specifying the -t flag, as above, gives:

./bttvgrab internal error: unknown option 'do_trace'

[ also, the tcl version has some problems setting a -q flag that is
later not recognised. ]

But

root# ./bttvgrab -o X -y

is promising, I get what looks like an out-of-sync black and white
picture, probably aliased, but defintely related to the video source.
However, the frame counter suggests that I'm dropping half the frames
(true even if I record to file or record in a simple, small format).

Any help getting a HDD video recorder going under Linux would be much
appreciated - the bttvgrab route seems most promising so far, but I'm
certainly prepared to go out and buy more hardware.

Tony Robinson

--
Dr A J Robinson, Technical Director, SoftSound Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
http://www.softsound.com, Phone +44 1223 421220  Fax +44 1223 421583