Re: [V4L] Broadcast 2000 & mp1e

> Also, the VCD's are OK, but the quality I can get is sort of low. I want to
> know if there  is something I can do  to "trick" my DVD player  and make it
> think a regular  CD is a DVD, and  burn the CD with DVD quality  (if I only
> can get 20 minutes for CD it's OK, I'm thinking in MTV :)

I'm not surprised your quality is fairly low as your bit-rates are rather on
the low side.  Here's the explanation:

(1) Source material.

2.5 Mbps is the data rate used for SVCD *mastered from studio sources*.
Event that is considered a little on the low side to avoid occasional
mosaicing. If you are encoding off broadcast material (which is *much much*
noiser) you simply need more bits because the noise reduces the material's
compressibility. It often helps a lot of run some low-pass filters over the
material before compression.   You gain more in improved quality compression
than you lose in slightly smoothing the original signal.

(2) Encoder.  The resolutions you're encoding at are using both fields of the
interlaced TV frames.  MPEG-1 encoding does *not* do a good job of encoding
such material.  Why?  Because alternate lines of a frame are from different
points in time and so are shifted relative to each other.  This introduces
lots of high-frequency energy into the siginal which greatly increases the
number of bits needed to encode at a given level of quality.  A possible
exception here is PAL video movie material where each field is from the same
movie frame.  In NTSC even in movies you really need interlace due to the 3/2
(or is it 2/3?) "pulldown" used to synchronise 24Hz movie frames with 60Hz
NTSC fields.

Either way: to encode interlaced signals properly you need MPEG-2 (which can
work on a field as well as frame basis) and that is significantly more
expensive to encode properly than MPEG-1.

Also, mp1e is *very* impressive (if only there were an equally good MJPEG
grabber) but it is optimised for speed not encoding quality (some MPEG
encoding things are just rather too computation intensive to do really well
in real-time).

Anyway, I wish I could point you to a solution to your problems.  However,
the stuff I contribute to (mjpeg tools and associated MPEG-1/2 encoder) isn't
much help due to the absence of good MJPEG capture for dumb frame buffers.
In the meantime I'd simply give mp1e at least 50% more bits to work with!

Alternatively, if you're watching on a TV I'm sure you'd get quite likely get
visually better results with a really nicely encoded MPEG-1 at 352x288 (PAL)
or 352x240 (NTSC) than on a bit-starved 480x or 640x.   Frankly, even pretty
good TV's simply don't resolve more than 300-400 dots across anyway.  E.g. my
32" widescreen tops out around the 400 dots mark.

Andrew