[V4L] SANE / v4l / GIMP

Afternoon all,

	For the last couple days I've been trying to find out how to
import still images from /dev/video0 directly into the GIMP.  Ideally, I'd
like to do this with a GIMP plugin rather than using some other app to
capture the images and then opening them in GIMP.
	Someone pointed out to me that SANE has both a v4l frontend and
that xscanimage can act as a plugin to the GIMP.  So I've downloaded and
installed SANE.  And it does indeed see /dev/video0 as a legitimate
device.  I can fire up GIMP and capture an image from /dev/video0.  The
problem is that the image is quite corrupt.  It looks like an interlace
related issue, with three separate copies of the image being displayed in
the same single capture (perhaps RGB?).  The device is properly configured
(xawtv starts up with the correct image immediately, and, just in case,
I've been setting the device with v4lctl before each attempted capture.
	Anyway, I realize this is probably more of a SANE issue than a v4l
issue.  Unfortunately, no one on the SANE mailing list has responded, and
the original author of the v4l backend for SANE has posted on that mailing
list in a year or so.
	If anyone can offer any advice on how to get SANE working
properly, or if someone knows of another v4l plugin for the GIMP, please
let me know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam