Re: [V4L] OpenGL Support / Multiple-Input Cards?

> True many OpenGL drivers are poorly optimized for blitting with glDrawPixels. Try using glTexSubImage2D instead; e.g. create a simple GL_QUAD and apply the video image as a texture map. Since many PC cards are designed for 3D gaming, we've found that texture mapping is often better optimized than 2D blits.

The AGP bus itself is really oriented to that kind of use.

> >We need to add 3D graphics to the video image coming from a standard
> >camera, using OpenGL. Thus an opaque window showing video doesn't help us,
> >we need the video to be in an OpenGL-compatible window. The easiest way to

You might want to look at using a card that supports multiple surfaces if
you can do a keyed overlay of your camera data. Most modern cards support
at least one hardware 'secondary surface' which often includes hardware
scaling and chromakey onto the main display. They are intended primarily for
'mpeg/dvd acceleration' but are sometimes used for other stuff like TV and
games. That would let you overlay onto the video stream in hardware.

> >The second problem is multiple inputs. For stereo applications we need two
> >images, sometimes a third from above for tracking. Are there any cards out
> >there with multiple inputs and linux drivers?

I've not seen any that can capture multiple in parallel