[V4L] no sound - clarification

I found sound, I'm not sure how.  But, recording the sound still causes
problems.  In xawtv, clicking to record an avi with sound causes the
drive to thrash as if it were recording, but xawtv just hangs.  If
I select to record a movie without sound, it works just as one would
hope.  I am using the AVerMedia TV/FM98.  Whatever the sound chip it
uses, it is at least somewhat compatable with the other AVerMedia cards,
as all of them provide me with sound.  I can mute, but I cannot adjust
the volume on the card (I adjust the volume with the soundcard mixer).
Also, this is definantly a stereo card, although xawtv only gives me the
autodetect and mono options.  This seems to be a great card other than
these support issues, perhaps its just a bit new to have been worked on?

Any suggestions as to how I can record video with sound would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@xxxxxxx