Re: [V4L] grabdisplay vs overlay

Aaron Solochek <leko@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was wondering what the difference between overlay and grabdisplay are,
> in terms of preformance.  I am running AcceleratedX 5, and I think that
> means I can't do overlay.  I have a g400max, and was wondering,
> basically, what the optimal setup would be.

In overlay mode the video is copied directly to the framebuffer, thus
the need for cpu intervention is minimal.
I'm not quite sure what grabdisplay is, but it seems to involve
copying data from the bus to memory to display so it can be quite slow.

Whether you can do overlay is, AFAIK, dependent on the videograbber board
and not so much related to which Xserver you are running. (IIRC, AccelX
worked fine here with a bt848 card and a Matrox G200).

For xawtv, you need to run v4l-conf as root once to set things up for
overlay.

HTH,

Ragga