[V4L] To Alan Cox: V4L1/V4L2 integration

Hi, Sorry for contacting you through the list like this.  I have tried
sending directly to your e-mail address, but have received no reply -
I'm probably getting caught by your rather infamous mail filters...

Anyway, the subject of V4L1 and V4L2 integration is comming up very
frequently now, and I would like to get you opinion on it.  Please read
the email below.

Thanks,

-justin

Hi,  I am just following up on one of your emails to the v4l mailing
list a few months ago.  Anyway, what you basically said was that for
V4L2 to be included in the kernel (2.5.x), it would have to be combined
with v4l1.

I have made a version (videodevX-ddmmyy.tgz at
http://bttv-v4l2.sourceforge.net/download) that does just this.  It is
currently for 2.2.x kernels, but I am slowly merging in the 2.4.x
changes.  Could you please have a look at this, and see if it is what
you had in mind?  I would just like to make sure before I go through the
effort of getting all the 2.4.x stuff in.

Basically, v4l1 drivers register themselves with video_register_device,
and get placed in an array of v4l1 devices.  v4l2 drivers register
themselves with v4l2_register_device, and get placed in an array of v4l2
devices.  When a file operation is performed, it tests if the minor is a
valid v4l2 minor, if so, it is processed by the v4l2 layer, otherwise by
the v4l1 layer.  It has been tested to work (at least for separate v4l1
and v4l2 devices, I have not yet had the opportunity to load a v4l1 and
v4l2 device simultaneously).

TIA,

-justin