Re: [V4L] BTTV2

> > So, you will just have to try and see!  Make sure your harddrives can
> > sustain > 25MB/s (a little overhead for seeks, etc.), install the rawio
> > patches for the kernel, write a capture driver that can use rawio to
> > capture to a raw partition on the HDD without too much kernel overhead,
> > get a motherboard with really low latency PCI arbitration, and hope...
>
> Wow.  That's a bit complicated, now, isn't it? :)  You couldn't use rawio on a software raid0, though, could you?

I don't think so.  I suppose if your CPU is fast enough you could get
away without rawio - the CPU is probably the strongest link in the chan
these days.

> > Sorry, in the end I haven't really answered your question.  In theory it
> > is definitely possible,  but I have a horrible suspision that the
> > arbitration latency on the PCI bus is going to keep theory from
> > becomming practice...
>
> This is a bit off topic, but I've seen the Asus K7V (VIA KT133)
> consistently score perfect 500MB/sec of memory-to-cpu bandwidth.  Can
> anyone vouch for the PCI latency with this chipset?

I don't know about the KT133, but the KX133 had the worst latencies I've
seen since Intel's first PCI 2.1 chipset (can't remember what it was
called).  The KT133 seems a bit better though.  A simple test would be
to capture to ram, and then copy directly to the video framebuffer.
This should simulate the PCI load of capture->ram->hdd.

-justin