Re: [V4L] BTTV2

Alan Cox wrote:

> > modern IDE disks can only do about 16-20 MB/s *sustained writes*. At the
> > hub, I've seen a 43GB SCSI disk do 22MB/s, and tailing off after that. A
> > 10,000rpm 9GB scsi disk was performing similarly I seem to recall. If
>
> Remember that as density goes up so does speed when not seeking.. 9Gb disks
> are much slower as they get less bits/rotation.

Right, I was comparing 43 GB 5400rpm disks to a 9GB 10000rpm drive, they
preform about the same due to the higher linear density on the larger
disks, as you said.

> > you need to sustain 25 or more, you may be able to do this with a
> > stripeing raid array of 2 or more disks, either scsi, or perhaps one of
> > the IDE raid controllers. I don't know if the rawio stuff will work on a
> > raid device tho.
>
> The 3ware raid cards doing raid 0 striping give pretty much perfect scaling
> at least to 4 disks. Much recommended toys

Interesting, I'll have to look them up. We're doing network monitoring
on PCs with linux, a PoS OC48 channel in one direction alone can carry
320MB/s! We're not trying to write *that* to disk of course.

Stephen.