Re: [V4L] BTTV2

On Fri, 27 October 2000, Justin Schoeman wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> This is just to let you know that the bttv2 driver is now basically
> finished.  There are still a few issues, but they are fairly minor.  The
> driver has been fairly heavily tested, and was found to be very stable.

I have a nagging question that nobody seems to be able to give a straight answer to (everyone wants me to have a PHD in mathematics and come up with my own answer).  Let's assume for a moment that I have a very fast CPU, or a pair of very fast CPUs.  Let's also assume that I have infinite hard disk bandwidth to capture to.  What is the largest frame (in pixels) that I can grab with a bt878 at +29.97fps?  Do I have to go with 1/4 size, or suffer at 8-bit color?

I want to do distribution-quality video capture with my bt878 or Zoran 36120 (which I can't get to work at the moment), and then put that on a VCD format media.  Am I asking too much to get NTSC-spec MPEG1 from this/these hardware card/s?

--
-=|JP|=-

"You must only realize that there is no spoon."