Re: [V4L] Videoconference

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Marcel Janssen wrote:

> > There is both source and binaryies available
> > for linux and you can Video Conference
> > with other programs using the H323 protocol
> > including Microsoft NetMeeting on Windows PCs.
>
> What software can be used on Linux ?
> Some while ago I was checking out the openh323 page.
> I thought I had what I needed, but never got it going.
> After that I never tried openh323 again.

openh323 went to release version recently.  The download section has a
static-linked binary for Linux. (ohphone)

The last CVS revision I tried did connect to netmeeting, and did send
video (after some hacking to get it to use the 'right' YUV mode from
my webcam).

It doesn't work through a NAT connection though, and I didn't have
time to play with the h323 masq module for long enough to work out
why.

Ohphone isn't 'nicely gui', but was reasonable enough to work last
time I tried it.

www.openh323.org, hit the 'download' link on the left side, and
hey-presto:)

I certainly wouldn't argue that openh323/ohphone are still immature
on Linux.  They're making stready progress though... least it seems to
be a little better every time I make time to play with it.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Cooke                  The views expressed above are mine and are not
Systems Programmer          necessarily representative of university policy
University Of Birmingham    URL: http://www.sr.bham.ac.uk/~mpc/